Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Urgent Care

So I have been so far behind with blogging because well life has just been crazy!
A bit ago-- the 19th. Xelly woke up from her nap screaming a different scream so I went up to her room and saw her standing up like normal but when I went to get her out of her crib I noticed all of these little bumps on her knuckles, wrists, ankles, lower back, back of neck. I did not know what to do or what it was I figured maybe a bug in her crib that was biting her so I put all of her bedding and clothing in a deep sanitize cycle and then I called Jacob & my mom to get their opinion and they said to go to Urgent Care. I got Xelly dressed and got a little snack and bottle for her to take with us. We were on our way to the destination but when I got to the address their was no Urgent Care. Her bumps were going away then showing up in another area so quickly I was debating on just going home because I was so lost.. and hour later and a few phone calls Jacob gave my a new address and we were seeing a doctor in about 10 minutes!

They weighed her (20lbs) took her temp (97 degrees) then we went in the room and the nurse said she was way to happy to be here- I agreed she was smiling and giggling like normal. In the room they put the thing on her foot to get her pulse. Then they checked her breathing and thats when they noticed something wrong. They asked hot long she had been breathing like that and I said from the time I got her out of her crib. Then the Doctor asked what was wrong and I showed her the bumps and she said they were a type of Hive- that was mine & Jacobs guess but I still had never treated it- I told her that she had Peanut butter for lunch and then the doc called the hospital and debated on sending her to the Emergency room because she had pooped a bunch, thrown up and her was breathing off the Doc called it Anaphylaxis shock (a life-threatening, whole-body allergic reaction that causes breathing difficulty). I was not all for that but whatever is best. They did a few more breathing treatments to check and gave her some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) and they said she calmed down so we could go home.

I didn't know how bad it was because she brought up the Emergency Room no lie I was nervous! Every few hours I had to wake her up to give her some Benadryl and check her breathing. A few days and doctor check ups later she is perfect!


I have given her peanut putter before and she has never had a problem with it so I was confused at why that would of been what had caused it. She told me to not give her any for about 3 years!!! What! I will probably try it in about 6 months but a tiny amount or take her to get an allergy test. 


Nothing like your heart dropping when you notice something is wrong with your little one.

4 comments:

Vivian said...

I'm so glad she is OK and that you have found the cause for it. Giving up the Peanut butter thing is easy when there is NUTELLA :)

Rorick said...

I'd follow the three-years advice, Jones. Kids at that age react very strongly, and she'll be safer testing an allergic reaction when she's four than when she's one-and-a-half.

It's just peanut butter, she'll survive without it for a bit. :P

KP said...

definitely wait 3 years...listen to the doc!!

it will be worth not having to worry if she will have another reaction like that again.

Sarah E. said...

That's very scary! My son suffers from food allergies and we haven't given him any peanut butter yet, but it is to my understanding, pb is a tricky food. You can give it to them a couple times and that's how the allergy forms. Each time they eat it, the body teaches itself to be allergic, if that makes sense. Before she has it again, I'd take her to an allergist and have them test her through skin prick or something like that :) Better to be safe than sorry.